|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|20m||20m||40m Plus proving time|
If you’re into sweet and salty recipes, you’ll love this! We’ve made a deliciously sweet maple and red onion focaccia with a salty feta and rosemary topping. It has a crispy crust and soft chewy centre you’ll love.
Perfect served with a pasta dish, soup or making your sandwich extra special.
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 500g strong bread flour
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 60ml extra virgin olive oil, plus extra
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Pure Maple Syrup, Golden Delicate
- 100g feta, crumbled
- A few springs of fresh rosemary
- Begin with proving the yeast. In a medium size bowl add the yeast and sugar. Measure out 310ml warm water in a measuring jug and pour about 50ml into the bowl. Whisk well and set aside until the yeast foams.
- In a mixing bowl add the flour and mix in the salt. Place the bowl under the mixer with a dough hook and with mixer running, add the yeast, oil and a little of the reserved warm water at a time, until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl. Continue to knead for about 10 minutes, until the dough has an elastic consistency. Oil the dough with a little more olive oil and cover up with clingfilm. Set aside for 1 hour until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, prepare the maple onion. Over medium, heat fry the sliced onion for about 5 minutes until translucent. Then add the maple and continue to fry for a few minutes.
- When the dough has doubled, roll out onto a floured surface 10″ x 15″ and transfer onto a lined baking tray. Cover with a damp tea towel and prove for 20 minutes in a warm spot. Preheat the oven 200C/180C Fan/Gas Mark 6.
- Using your fingers, poke dents into the dough until they touch the baking tray. Do this all over the surface of the dough. Next add the maple fried onions, feta, springs of rosemary and drizzle some more olive oil.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden. Cool on a wire rack.