|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|30m||25m||55m Plus proving time|
All the flavours of autumn rolled up in these maple pumpkin cinnamon rolls! Perfectly spiced and so soft and chewy, topped with a scrumptious maple frosting!
- For the Maple Pumpkin Rolls
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 180ml milk
- 90g unsalted butter, softened
- 555g plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pumpkin spice
- 200g pumpkin puree
- 130g Pure Maple Syrup, Dark Robust
- 1 egg
- 1 – 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- For the filling
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin spice
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Maple Cream Cheese
- 180g cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 -2 tablespoons Pure Maple Butter Spread, depending how sweet you like it
- Warm the milk until lukewarm. Add 60ml of the milk to the yeast and sugar and whisk. Set aside until frothy, for about 10 minutes. In the remaining milk add the butter and heat it up until it melts. Allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile place the flour into a large mixing bowl and stir in the salt and the spices. Place the bowl under a mixer with a dough hook attachment. Then add the yeast, egg, maple and pumpkin to the flour, and start mixing, adding the warmed milk and butter mixture, a little at a time. Continue to mix until a soft dough forms. Add a little vegetable oil to the dough and using a rubber spatula scrap the dough off the sides to ensure it gets a coating of oil. This will help it from sticking to the sides. Knead for about 10 minutes, until it has an elastic consistency. Cover with clingfilm and place in a warm spot in the kitchen. Set aside until it doubles in size for about an hour.
- In the meantime, mix together the sugar and spices for the filling.
- When the dough is ready knock back, by pushing into the dough to knock out the air. Turn it over onto a slightly floured surface and roll out into a rectangular shape about 13″ x 17″.
- Using a spatula, spread the very soft butter on the dough, leaving a 1″ border on one of the longer sides. Sprinkle the sugar and spices on the butter. The edge with a 1″ border will be used as a seal after it’s rolled.
- Beginning at the 17″ edge, start to tightly roll up the dough. Pinch the dough at the edge so it seals. Using a sharp knife, greased with oil, cut off about 1/2″ of each end to tidy up. Discard or bake these separately. Next cut 12 equal sized rolls.
- Place the 12 rolls in a lined 9″ x 13″ tin and cover with a damp cloth for 25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/170C Fan/Gas Mark 5. Finally when the rolls have risen, bake for 20 – 25 minutes until golden and cooked. After 5 minutes transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Finally whisk together the maple cream cheese ingredients until smooth.
- Spread the maple cream cheese on the cooled rolls.