|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|20m||1h 10m||1h 30m, plus cooling|
A delicious plum cake and a crunchy streusel topping, sweetened with our pure maple syrup. Perfect served with vanilla ice cream.
- For the Streusel
- 100g plain flour
- 110g maple sugar or brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 90g unsalted butter, soft
- For the plum cake
- 175g Pure Maple Syrup, Dark Robust
- 80g unsalted butter, soft
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 175g plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 12 small plums, halved or just enough to cover the cake batter
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Fan 160C/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 9 inch springform cake tin.
- Begin with making the streusel. Add together all the streusel ingredients in a large bowl and with a hand held mixer beat for a couple of minutes until combined and resemble breadcrumb. Spread out the streusel crumb on a baking tray. Bake for 12 -15 minutes until lightly toasted, turning over half way to bake well. Remove from the oven and set aside. This will give your cake a crunchy topping.
- In another bowl cream the butter with a hand mixer until light and pale. Add the maple syrup a little at a time and mix for a couple of minutes until creamy. Then add the vanilla and eggs, 1 at a time mixing well between each addition. Do not worry if the mixture curdles.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon to the wet mixture and combine with a rubber spatula. Pour the thick batter into the pan and arrange the plums, cut side up. Sprinkle the toasted streusel topping and bake for 55 minutes until a tooth pick comes out clean. Leave to cool for about 30 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Serve with ice cream.