Baked Churros with Salted Maple Caramel Sauce Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
If you’re like us and love the perfect balance of sweet and salty, you will love this treat. We’ve taken the traditional Spanish churros and added our delicious Pure Maple Syrup to make a mouth-watering salted maple caramel sauce for dipping. It’s a match made in heaven!
This recipe makes about 40 churros. They are suitable for freezing and lovely warmed up after defrosting.
- 225g water
- 115g unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons Pure Maple Syrup, Dark Robust plus extra for glazing
- Pinch of salt
- 145g plain flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 50g maple sugar or brown sugar
Salted Maple Caramel Sauce
- 250g Pure Maple Syrup, Dark Robust
- 125ml double cream
- 25g unsalted butter
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas Mark 6. Line 2 large baking trays with parchment
- In a large sauce pan add the water, butter, maple syrup and salt over medium heat until it starts to simmer, reduce the heat to low and then add the flour and continue to whisk until a smooth dough forms. Cook for a minute and set aside.
- Pipe the churros on the baking tray, leaving space between each one for spreading. Cut the ends either using scissors or a knife.
- Place the trays in the middle of the oven and bake for 18 minutes. When they are finished baking turn off the oven and leave the churros in the hot oven to continue to brown for 10 – 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile place all the caramel sauce ingredients, apart from the salt, in a medium sauce pan over a high heat and bring to a boil, whisking occasionally. Reduce the heat and continue to whisk until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. When the sauce is thickened and it coats the back of a spoon, remove from heat.
- In a shallow bowl mix together the cinnamon and sugar. Take the churros out of the oven when they are a lovely golden brown (freeze cooled churros at this stage before coating with cinnamon and sugar). Brush a little reserved maple syrup on them before coating them in the cinnamon and sugar mixture.