|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|1h 20m||7m||1h 27m|
Once you’ve made homemade crumpets, you’ll never want to buy supermarket ones again. This is a Jamie Oliver Recipe but we substituted the sugar for maple syrup. It takes a bit of time but well worth the effort!
Serve the hot toasted crumpets with our delicious Pure Maple Butter. It really is the best way to have crumpets!
- 400ml semi skimmed milk, warmed
- 100ml warm water
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 teaspoon Pure Maple Syrup
- 300g strong white flour or plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- vegetable oil, for greasing
- Warm the milk over low heat and put aside. In a bowl, add the yeast and maple, then pour the tepid milk and water. Whisk well to dissolve and leave for about 15 minutes in a warm place until frothy.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a large, deep bowl, make a well in the centre and now add the yeast starter. Whisk from the centre outwards until all incorporated.
- Grease 4, 10 cm egg rings well with vegetable oil and wipe oil on the frying pan. Place the frying pan over medium heat.
- Arrange the egg rings on the pan and spoon 4 tablespoons of the batter in each ring. Cook for about 5 minutes until bubbles appear on the surface.
- Once the bubbles burst leaving little holes, lift the rings with tongs and flip over to cook the other side for 1 minute. Re-grease the rings before cooking the next crumpet.
Enjoy hot crumpets with maple butter!