Maple Pumpkin Pie Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|20m||1h 10m||1h 30m plus 30 minutes refrigeration time|
This time of the year it’s all about pumpkins, mix in some fragrant warm spices and add in our 100% natural Pure Maple Syrup…wow, what a winning combination!
If you’ve never tasted pumpkin pie; it’s absolutely delicious and easy to make!
- 200g plain flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 100g cold unsalted butter, cut in cubes
- 40g icing sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 – 4 tablespoons cold water
- 370g pumpkin, cooked
- 225g Pure Maple Syrup, Dark Robust
- 125ml double cream
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Pinch of salt
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Prepare the maple pumpkin pie filling. Cut the peeled pumpkin into small chunks. Place in large sauce pan with a little water and cover with a lid. Place the pan over a medium heat and stir regularly. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender. Remove from the heat and place in a colander to drain.
- Grease and line the bottom of a 23cm shallow pie tin. In a food processor add the flour, sugar, cinnamon and butter and blitz until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. Then add the egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of water at a time until the mixture starts to come together to form a pastry dough.
- Now place the dough on a floured surface and roll out to about 3mm thickness. Put the pastry in the pie tin and cut away some of the excess pastry but allow 1cm overhang for shrinkage. Roll out the excess pastry and cut out several leaf shapes for decorating. Using a fork, prick the dough. This stops air bubbles from forming. Place the pie case and leaves in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 200C/Fan 180C/Gas Mark 6 and place a baking tray in the oven. A hot baking tray will ensure the bottom of the pie case bakes well.
- Now it’s time to blind bake the pie case and leaves. This prevents a soggy pie shell. Cut a large piece of greaseproof paper that will cover the pie case. Scrunch up the greaseproof paper into a ball and open it up again. Now it is easier to cover the pie case. Cover with ceramic baking beans or dried pasta. Put the pie tin on the hot baking tray and bake for 12 minutes with the baking beans then remove the beans and greaseproof. Bake for a further 2 – 3 minutes. Keep an eye on the leaves as they may require less time.
- Remove the pie case from the oven and increase the oven temperature to 220C/Fan 200C/Gas Mark 7. Add all the ingredients for the maple pumpkin pie filling to a food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Pour the maple pumpkin pie filling into the pastry case and bake for 15 minutes. Then reduce the oven temperature to 175C/Fan 155C/Gas Mark 4 and bake for a further 30 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack.
- Trim any excess pastry with a sharp knife and decorate with the pastry leaves and a little dusting of icing sugar.
- Serve with cream or ice cream.