Maple Cinnamon Twisted Bread Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
This Maple Cinnamon Twisted Bread is filled with crunchy almonds and coconut and flavoured with the sweet fragrant flavours of maple and cinnamon.
- 2 teaspoon yeast
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 50ml warm water
- 325g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon Pure Maple Syrup, Dark Robust
- 125ml milk
- 25g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg, beaten
- Vegetable oil for greasing
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoon Pure Maple Butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 75g flaked almonds
- 2 tablespoon flaked coconut
- 50g icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice, pulp free
- In a medium sized bowl add the yeast, 2 tsp of white sugar and the warm water and whisk. Set aside until the yeast becomes frothy.
- Put the butter and milk in a sauce pan and place on low heat until the butter is melted. Allow the mixture to cool. It should be lukewarm before adding to the flour.
- In a large bowl add the flour, salt, maple syrup, egg, yeast, warm milk and butter mixture. Using a mixer with a dough hook, mix well until all the ingredients have combined and continue to knead for about 10 minutes until the dough has an elastic consistency. If the dough is too wet add a little flour so the it comes away from the sides of the bowl when mixing it. Brush a little vegetable oil on the dough and cover it with clingfilm. Leave in a warm place for about an hour until it has doubled in size.
- In the meantime combine the filling ingredients in another bowl, apart from the almonds and coconut and mix well.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, knock it back (pressing down on the dough to force out the air that has formed) either in the mixer or by hand. Roll out the dough on a slightly floured surface to approximately the size of 26cm x 26cm.
- Now spread the filling mixture over the dough, allowing about 1cm border all around the dough. Sprinkle the nuts and coconut flakes and roll the dough. Place the rolled dough on a baking tray covered with parchment paper. Using a sharp knife that has been brushed with oil cut down the length of the dough to produce 2 pieces that can now be braided together to create the lovely the twisted bread. Tuck the ends under and cover up again with the oiled clingfilm. Allow to rise for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas Mark 4. Place the dough in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown and done. ( To check if the bread is ready, tap the bottom of it and if it makes a hollow sound it will be done.) Allow to rest for 5 minutes before placing on a wire rack and to cool completely.
- Mix together the icing sugar and orange juice to give a runny consistency. After the bread has cooled down, using a spoon, drizzle the icing to give a zigzag pattern.