|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
Our sweet and sour chicken is a family favourite meal and so easy to make…perfectly crispy chicken in a delicious tangy and sweet sauce.
- 500g chicken breast
- 85g corn starch
- Salt and pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Sunflower oil, for frying
- Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 red bell pepper
- 140ml red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 tablespoon Ketchup
- 125ml Pure Maple Syrup, Dark Robust
- Chilli flakes, optional
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- Sesame seeds, optional
- Noodles for 4 servings
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas Mark 6.
- Begin preparing the chicken. Cut it into bite size pieces. In a bowl, add the corn starch, salt and pepper and in another bowl beat the eggs. Coat the chicken pieces in the corn starch covering, completely. Set aside the remaining corn starch.
- Set a shallow pan with enough oil to cover the chicken pieces on the heat. Take the floured chicken pieces and dip them in the beaten eggs before placing them in the hot oil. Brown one side, then carefully turn the pieces over to brown the reverse side. Cook in batches. Place the chicken pieces on a baking tray and put them in the oven until completely cooked, about 15 -20 minutes.
- Meanwhile start preparing the sweet and sour sauce. Add all the ingredients in a bowl apart from the spring onions and whisk. Heat up a wok and cook the the sauce until peppers are tender. Take some sauce out and mix it with a tablespoon of corn starch then stir it back into the wok.
- Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions.
- Finally add the cooked chicken to the sauce.
- Serve with chopped spring onions.