Salted Maple Caramel Eclair Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
You won’t be able to resist these delicious, light and fluffy eclairs, filled with maple crème pâtissière! Topped with salted maple caramel sauce. Recipe inspired by the Great British Bake Off.
- Salted Maple Caramel Sauce
- 150g Pure Maple Syrup, Dark Robust
- 100g brown sugar
- 25g unsalted butter
- 125ml double cream
- Generous pinch of salt
- Choux Pastry
- 65g unsalted butter
- 100g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Crème Pâtissière
- 300ml milk
- 150ml double cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 50g Pure Maple Syrup, Amber Rich
- 50g corn flour
- Preheat the oven to 220C/200 Fan/ Gas Mark 7 and line a large baking tray.
- Begin making the salted maple caramel sauce. Add the maple, sugar and butter to a medium sauce pan over a medium heat and bring to a boil, whisking occasionally. Take off the heat and add the cream a little at a time, whisking. Return to the heat and cook until the sauce has thickened and it coats the back of a spoon.
- Next make the choux pastry. In another sauce pan place the butter and 150ml of cold water and heat gently. Then turn up the heat and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and tip the dry ingredients all at once. Beat with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are mixed well together.
- Take off the heat and rest for a couple of minutes. Add the beaten eggs a little at a time, beating continuously with a wooden spoon, until the mixture becomes smooth and shiny.
- Place the choux pastry in a piping bag and cut a large hole at the end, about 2cm. Pipe 11 – 12 eclairs well spaced on the lined baking tray. Tip: On the under side of the parchment paper, use a ruler to mark out 12 eclairs about 10cm long, to use as a guide.
- Place the baking tray in the middle of the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to 200C/180C Fan/Gas Mark 6 and bake for a further 15 minutes until puffed and golden. As soon as they are baked, place on a wire rack and poke both ends with a skewer to let the steam out.
- While the eclairs are baking, prepare the maple crème pâtissière. In a sauce pan heat the milk and cream to a simmering point.
- In a large bowl whisk together all the other ingredients. Pour the hot milk and cream to the egg mixture, whisk well. Tip this back into the sauce pan and heat until it thickens, whisking continuously. Remove from heat and pour out onto a baking tray and cover with clingfilm. Allow to cool completely before using.
- Place cooled maple crème pâtissière into a piping bag with a small round nozzle. Pipe into cold eclairs and coat the top with cooled salted maple caramel sauce.