Pure Maple – Maple Syrup and Coffee Cakes
We are getting excited for the big day.So here is our contribution to the “transatlantic marriage”
Maple and Coffee Cupcakes
185g unsalted butter softened
225g Pure Maple Syrup Dark Robust
225g self raising flour
1 1/2 tbsp instant coffee
2 tbsp warm milk
3 eggs separated
Maple Icing Ingredients
140g unsalted butter softened
280g icing sugar
1 tbsp Pure Maple Syrup Dark Robust plus a little extra
1 tbsp milk
- Grease and line a cupcake tin with butter and set the oven to 180 C.
- Cream the softened butter in mixer at low speed until pale and creamy then add the maple syrup gradually (which is at room temperature). Using a spatula every now and then scrape the mixture from the sides into the middle and continue mixing until the butter and maple syrup combine to give a creamy caramel mixture.
- Weigh out the flour into another bowl and add a pinch of salt.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time to the maple butter mixture and combine well, alternating with sieved flour.
- Dissolve the coffee granules in the warm milk and add this slowly to the above mixture.
- Whisk the egg whites to form stiff peaks and fold this into the cake mixture.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the cupcake tin about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- While cakes are in the oven start the buttercream by whipping up the butter then gradually add the icing sugar, sieving it with each addition.
- Add 1 tbsp of maple syrup and milk little bit at a time.
- When the cakes are baked place them on a wire rack, leave them for 5 minutes before removing them from the tin and then allow them to cool completely before icing.
- Cut the cakes in half.Fit a star nozzle onto a piping bag and pipe the cakes sandwiching the 2 halves together. Drizzle some maple syrup on top to decorate.