Maple Carrot Cake Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
There’s a lot of concern around processed sugar at the moment, with many advocating the use of healthier natural alternatives like maple syrup to sweeten your treats.
Maple syrup is packed full of vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants and Pure Maple contains less calories gram for gram than corn syrup or honey and makes the most moorishly moist cakes!
This carrot cake recipe is delicious, light and easy…
- 200g Pure Maple Syrup, Amber Rich
- 150ml vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 carrots, grated
- 100g sultanas
- Grated zest of 1 orange, reserve some for decorating
- 175g self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
Frosting and Toppings
- 20g unsalted butter, softened
- 115g cream cheese, room temperature
- 25g Pure Maple Syrup, Amber Rich
- Handful of coconut flakes
- Preheat your oven to 180C/Fan 160C/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 20 cm round cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- For the cake, whisk together the maple syrup, eggs and oil.
- Lightly mix in the grated carrots, sultanas and orange zest.
- In a separate bowl weigh the self-raising flour and add in the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Gradually sift the dry ingredients into the wet cake mixture and use a spatula to fold in the flour, bicarbonate and spices until the cake mixture is well combined.
- Pour the cake mixture into you prepared tin and place in a preheated oven for 40 – 45 minutes. When done, the center should feel firm and springy to the touch. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes before removing your carrot cake from the tin.
- For the frosting, beat the softened butter, add the cream cheese and gradually pour in the maple syrup. Beat until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate until ready to use. Toast the coconut flakes on a baking tray in the hot oven for about 3 minutes until lightly toasted.
- When the cake has cooled completely, spread the frosting smoothly, on the top of the cake. Sprinkle the dried coconut flakes around the outside border along with the reserved orange zest.